Monday, October 18, 2010

Getting settled

We arrived at FOB Shank on the 13th of October early in the morning by C-130 flown lights out with the pilots wearing NVG's (Night Vision Goggles). The FOB itself is a lights out area. We immediatley received classes on the layout of the FOB and its standard operating procedures.  For the next 2 days we had aviation related classes.  On the 14th, we had our first IDF (Indirect Fire), usually a rocket or a mortar round land just inside the FOB.  We went to the bunkers and waited for the all clear.  I flew my first flight on the 16th.  It was a flight that took us out to the live fire range to test the weapons of the aircraft.  We shot 30mm chain gun, 2.75" rockets (Point detonating, Flachette, Smoke, and Illumination). We did that both day and night and returned to the FOB for dust/brownout landings. I flew again on the 17th for a local orientation flight that covered the area that we will be operating in.  It was a day/night flight and lasted about 4 hours.  We were routinly operating above 10,000 feet and using supplemental oxygen.  On the way back to Shank, operations called us that another IDF round impacted the FOB and we were sent to the area where they thought it had come from.  We took a quick look and saw nothing.  We then did a perimeter sweep around the FOB and returned for landing.  While eating a late dinner after the flight, we heard another loud explosion.  We were told that a person (enemy) exploded an IED while trying to move or emplace it nearby.  I will now have a day or two to get myself on cylce to take over as a AMC (Air Mission Commander) for a flight of 2 AWT's (Air Weapons Team - 2 AH-64D's) on the night schedule.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Barry - Thanks for the update on your posting of Oct. 18th. We hope they can find where the IDF is coming from. We are thinking of you all the time and Love You. Keep safe! On another topic I am trying to sort out why when I was talking to you we had static, and loss of video and audio. I had a person I know who is very familiar with computers over. We skyped with Son Mi and every thing went perfect. Tonight I am going to try to skype with Greg and Mark. If that goes perfect our next test will be tomorrow with you after you finish with Son Mi. We will have Skype up starting at 1:00 PM (our time) and will be available going forward. We will see how the connection goes with you and if there are continuing problems we will go from there. My computer guy doesn't believe there is anything wrong with our computer. He disabled some redundant "fire walls" and maybe that may improve things. We will see.
    Love, Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Anderson,

    You need to keep your eyes open and your head down and this year will be over before you know it. I had a good time over here and I hope you feel the same way after your tour. Its not about the mission is all about the people and the only thing that would have made it better for me is if I could have gone through this with you Barry. We have had a long run, and it has been great. I hope NY treats you well and I hope your tour goes quick, I will be watching your Blog "good idea by the way" and I will stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does the air mission commander get to wear a spike on his helmet, or maybe tassles?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok commander, be safe and remember "shoot em all and let GOD sort em out".. Your friend... the KOSCH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barry, We are learning a lot from reading your blog. We hope you will be able to write a book when you return. Being dummies at writing comments, we are following your father's explicit instructions. The Framingham Gang sends love and prayers for your continued saftey.

    ReplyDelete